The Dollar Depot, 3353 Third St., is a treasure trove of very affordably priced items, ranging from useful and necessary to kitschy and fun. The store stocks a large selection of holiday-themed décor, hair accessories, office/school/craft supplies, scrapbooking items, greeting cards, party supplies, cleaning products, beauty and health products and much, much more.
There are hundreds of items that make for thoughtful (and affordable) gift-giving, as well as inspired conversation pieces. With so much to choose from, I decided to search for some of my favorite dollar store discoveries—pop culture pieces. It was hard to narrow the list down to only five finds as there was so much to choose from.
Here is a list of five things that jumped out at this pop culture and dollar store junkie:
- KISS Spiral Notebook–A piece of rock 'n' roll merchandise for only a dollar! The notebook is wide ruled, spiral bound and perfect for note taking, doodling or penning lyrics to your very own rock song. The cover serves as a constant source of creative inspiration.
- M&M Scented Candle–Scented berry blue (instead of the expected chocolate) and vibrantly colored, the small candle pays homage to the candy-coated chocolate confections while delicately perfuming your home. Yellow, red and green candles also are available for the candle-lover or pop culture enthusiast.
- Kellogg's Tony the Tiger Bib–So adorable and useful, this one can't be passed by. A bib of this sort is a fitting baby gift for anyone who remembers the Tony the Tiger commercials and his catch phrases. The pullover bib works well for children who have mastered pulling off snap or Velcro closures on other bibs.
- Made of Honor Wristlet–This cute little white wristlet was a curious find as it included a picture of the promotional movie poster for the movie Made of Honor Knowing that it must have been something mass-produced to promote the movie made it seem strangely special. The picture was placed within a clear plastic sleeve, making it possible to remove the photo and insert your own.
- Spock Glass–Anyone who is a Star Trek fan would love to drink their morning orange juice out of this colorful glass. Spock is only one of the four Trek glasses to choose from; there is also Kirk, Uhura and Nero. The glass could also be used as a vase or a pen/pencil holder.
I challenge you to enter the Dollar Depot without spending at least $5 on things you didn't know you needed, but couldn't walk out without owning.