The designated hours for trick-or-treating in Wyandotte are from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 31, which is a Thursday this year.
City officials voted Monday night to set those as the official Halloween trick-or-treating hours.
The police department also provided these safety tips for Halloween night:
- A parent, guardian or older brother or sister should accompany children and only go to houses of people they know. If someone older cannot go, trick or treat with a group of children.
- Do not enter the house to obtain a treat.
- Parents should choose the correct clothing or costume. Light colors are more easily seen at night. Make up or masks should provide good visibility for the trick or treater.
- Use reflective tape on your costume and carry a flashlight so you can see and be seen easily.
- Plan your trick or treat route ahead of time. Pick streets that are well lighted. Children should look carefully before crossing the street and cross only at corners. Never cross the street between parked cars or in the middle of the block.
- Watch for traffic.
- Only give and accept wrapped or packaged candy.
- Parents should carefully inspect treats for signs of tampering or metal objects.
- Suspicious persons should be reported to the Police Department.
- Have a safe and happy Halloween!