Wyandotte Police Chief Daniel Grant shared with Wyandotte Patch an open letter he wrote to the community:
The designated hours for "trick or treat" on Halloween, Oct. 31, are 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Your Police Department offers the following tips to make this event as safe as possible:
- A parent, guardian or older brother or sister should accompany children and only go to houses of people they know. If someone older cannot go, trick or treat with a group of children.
- Do not enter the house to obtain a treat.
- Parents should choose the correct clothing or costume. Light colors are more easily seen at night. Make up or masks should provide good visibility for the trick or treater.
- Use reflective tape on your costume and carry a flashlight so you can see and be seen easily.
- Plan your trick or treat route ahead of time. Pick streets that are well lighted. Children should look carefully before crossing the street and cross only at corners. Never cross the street between parked cars or in the middle of the block.
- Watch for traffic.
- Only give and accept wrapped or packaged candy.
- Parents should carefully inspect treats for signs of tampering or metal objects.
- Suspicious persons should be reported to the Police Department.
- Have a safe and happy Halloween!