A 56-year-old Wyandotte woman died Friday night in an accidental house fire that also left her daughter and two grandchildren without a home.
The Wyandotte Fire Department received a call about the blaze at the corner of Maple and 14th Streets at 9:53 p.m., Chief Jeff Carley said Saturday. The entire front of the two-story duplex already was in flames when fire units arrived within 5 minutes, he added.
Iris Shepherd, 56, died in the fire; her daughter and two grandchildren, who live in the upstairs flat, were not home at the time and are staying at a hotel due to damage to their home, Carley said.
While the exact cause could not be determined, a tangle of extension cords and improper handling of a lit cigarette were possible factors in the fire, he said.
"There's no evidence of an arson," Carley said. "This is just a tragic accident."