With the addition of a seventh-hour period at Roosevelt High School this year, staffers have had to develop new courses to offer during that classroom time.
Seven new courses were offered during the first semester and now an additional six new classes have been added to the curriculum for the second semester, which began this month.
All are electives and are available to interested students.
The new courses, and their teachers, are:
- Advanced Individual Sports (Colleen Minor)
- Digital Imaging (Susi Stiles)
- Vietnam History & Literature (Warren Baker)
- American History Through Film (Melissa Becker)
- U.S. Military History (Pat Hickey)
- Pop Culture Through Heroes, Myths & Legends of Literature (Kelly Lomas)
School Superintendent Carla Harting said students have reacted positively to the extra class period being weaved into the school day.
"With the state's increased graduation requirements, we never really had time for students to take other classes they wanted to," Harting said. "The students are really enjoying being able to have electives, where before they weren't."
While the new classes have already began, Board of Education members are set to officially sign off on the entire list at tonight's meeting, which begins at 7 p.m. on the third floor of the new City Hall.
Read more about each class by checking out the course descriptions.